What you do NOT want the Disney Dining Plan to be is a way to spend more money than necessary at Disney World. That is why we have created a list of Disney Dining Plan Restaurants to avoid.
Disney Dining Plan Restaurants To Avoid!
This is a list that looks purely at the financial side of the equation and let's you know which restaurants are not a good use of your Table Service Dining credits. This does not say that these places do not have great food or are not fun dining experiences.
When you are paying for the Disney Dining Plan an adult costs $41.99 per day. This entitles you to:
- One Table Service Dining Credit
- One Quick Service Dining Credit
- One Snack
This is the barometer that we will use to evaluate whether it makes good financial sense to "spend" a Table Service Credit at a particular restaurant. If the entree is less than $22 - $23 (or $28 for the buffet) then you are actually paying MORE than menu price for that meal by using a Dining Plan credit. You will be amazed how many restaurants are on this list.
The List Of Restaurants To Avoid (Using The DDP)
- Donald's Safari Breakfast - Tusker House
- Tusker House - Lunch
- Yak & Yeti ( a couple entrees above $22)
- 50's Prime Time Cafe - Lunch & Dinner
- Sci-Fi Dine In Theater - Lunch & Dinner
- Hollywood & Vine Character Breakfast
- Mama Melrose's - Lunch & Dinner
- Biergarten - Lunch
- Chef de France - Lunch
- Le Cellier - Lunch (unless you order the steaks)
- Nine Dragons - Lunch & Dinnner
- Restaurant Marrakesh - Lunch
- Rose & Crown - Lunch & Dinner
- San Angel Inn - Lunch
- Tokyo Dining
- Crystal Palace - Breakfast & Lunch
- Liberty Tree Tavern - Lunch
- Plaza Restaurant
- Tony's Town Square (unless you order steak)
- Boma - Breakfast
- Sanaa - Lunch & Dinner
- Beaches & Cream
- Cape May Cafe - Breakfast
- Kouzzina - Breakfast
- Big River Grille & Brewing Works
- ESPN Club
- The Wave - Lunch
- Maya Grill - Breakfast
- Trail's End Restaurant
- 1900 Park Fare Breakfast
- Grand Floridian Cafe
- Olivia's Cafe
- Kona Cafe - Breakfast & Lunch
- Turf Club Bar & Grill - Lunch
- Whispering Canyon Cafe - Breakfast & Lunch
- Captain's Grille - Breakfast & Lunch
- Raglan Road - Lunch
- Captain Jack's
- Planet Hollywood
- Wolfgang Puck Cafe - Lunch
Some of the almost universal trends are that breakfasts and for the most part lunches are not good uses of your Table Service Credits from a financial point of view. Many restaurants may have one item on the menu above the $22 threshhold, but if you don't order it then you are better off paying directly.
Enjoy Your Vacation, But Avoid Overpaying
As you may have noticed there are many wonderful restaurants on the list. By all means continue to visit them, but keep in mind that they are not a good use of Disney Dining Plan Table Service Credits.
Use the Disney Dining Plan when restaurants that cost more than $22 per entree make up the majority of your personal Dining Plan for your vacation.
The Disney Dining Plan can still end up saving you a lot of money, but it all depends on how you use your credits. Use them wisely and have a great vacation!