Disney World is having a special event this summer to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Lion King, the movie in a way that only they could. At Disney's Animal Kingdom, home to the Festival of the Lion King show since opening in 1998, Disney put together a celebration fitting this great movie and provides a stellar night for guest who care to indulge.
Harambe NightsBilled as a once per week event running for 10 Saturdays during the summer from June 7th through August 9th Harambe Nights gives Disney's Animal Kingdom a chance to show off like it never has before.
For an event that starts at 7:00pm as the regular day for the theme park is winding down, you know you are in for something special as you are greeted by special signage and Disney Cast members that have their faces painted in festive fashion and sporting animal ears.
Once you are checked in at the main gate and receive your wristband it is time to make your way to the Harambe Village in the Africa section of Disney's Animal Kingdom.
The event consists of 3 phases. The initial phase is a get acquainted with the surrounds and enjoy drinks and appetizers, the 2nd phase is a special performance in the new Harambe Theater as a tribute to the Lion King movie complete with orchestra and celebrity narrator, and finally there is a dinner and street party to enjoy for the rest of the evening.
The Opening Phase - Welcome ReceptionIn attending the July 5th event, we encountered rain as the event started at 7:00pm. Although it did not dampen anyone's spirits, it did move some of the initial part of the event indoors. The Welcome Reception was split between the Pizzafari building and the Tusker House. Our one regret is realizing that many of the people showed up well before 7:00pm and by showing up close to the starting time we missed out somewhat and felt slightly rushed.
There was free face painting available to all who wished to partake (and who wouldn't!), as well as, numerous bartender stations and several stations with the three appetizers available to try.
The "Quick Bites" Menu included:
- Spicy Durban Chicken
- Pickled Fennel Paneer Cheese
- Safari Cheeseburger Roll
The Lion King - Concert In The Wild
|Michael Beach during Harambe Nights|
Harambe Nights Street Party
Bread, Salads, and More Station
- Watercress melon, feta and berry baslamic onion salad
- Kachumbari Salad
- Creamy Macaroni & Cheese
- Spicy Vegetable Samosa
- Slow Roasted Chicken Legs
- Traditional Naan, Onion Kulcha and Papadum Breads
- Dips: Roaster Humus, Raita, and Ginger garlic Pickle
Surf & Turf
- Mango, Radish, Lime, and Mustard Seed Salad
- Watermelon, Cucumber, and Fennel Salad
- Roasted Beetroot Salad
- Coriander Chutney Roasted Potatoes
- Seared Corvina Fillet with Curry
- Moroccan Beef and Lamb Kefta with Tamarind Glaze
- Golden Pineapple with Toasted Coconut
- Apple Slice with Amarula Caramel Sauce
- Ripe Melon with minted lime yogurt dip
- Rice pudding with dried fruit compote and pistashio gremolata
- Caramel Salted Tanzania Chocolate Kenyan Coffee Bites
- Chai Cream with Zebra Stripes
- Assorted Ice Cream Novelty Bars (including Mickey Bars!)